The HemCon Hemorrhage Control Bandage
* Created as a joint effort of HemCon, Inc. and the U.S. Army. The bandage was the result of a three-year collaborative effort to address the leading cause of battlefield mortality: bleeding.
* The HemCon® Bandage controls bleeding by becoming extremely sticky when in contact with blood; this adhesive-like action seals the wound. The HemCon Bandage is even effective on high-pressure, high-flow arterial bleeds.
* It is an effective barrier between an open wound and dangerous bacteria.
* It is a pliable, sterile, chitosan dressing capable of stopping severe external hemorrhage following trauma and penetrating injury.
* In 2005 the U.S. Army Surgeon General mandated each soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan to carry at least one HemoCon bandage and medics five.